First, lets define what an energy-zapper is:
- Someone who has constant chaos in their lives
- Someone who thrives on chaos in their lives
- Someone who has the ability to pull you into their chaos
- Someone who during the conversation does not ask about your life
- Someone who leaves you wondering, what just happened?
Here is what I'm learning to do:
- Distance myself from energy-zappers and limit my phone conversations and personal contact with them.
- I've identified who the energy-zappers are in my life.
- I choose when to talk to them and when not.
- I create clear boundaries with them, such as..."I need to go now."
1. Create a collage that represents energy-zappers: choose images that correspond to how you feel when you have a conversation with an energy-zapper and recognize the impact they have on your well-being. See collage at the top of this post.
2. To regain a sense of calm after having an energy-zapping conversation, create a calm and relaxing mandala that reflects a release of anxiety.After creating your calming mandala, spend some time with it. Maybe ask it a question such as, How can I regain the energy I just lost by listening to an energy-zapper? What is it that I need right now? How can I take care of myself the next time I encounter an energy-zapper? Questions like these can help you get back on track, so you do not spend the rest of the day feeling drained or resentful.
Another suggestion is, before engaging in an energy-zapper conversation, let the person know you only have so much time to speak with them before you have to go. You also might decide, that this is a time in your life when you do not have any space for energy-zappers and that is OK too. Limit conversations or let others know you are exhausted and need time to yourself.
REMEMBER---you can always turn to your journal to write or draw about the feelings you are experiencing. This is your safe place.
Counseling For Women In my practice as a psychotherapist, I help women identify their passions and develop their strengths. ...
Have you ever noticed how color can shift your mood? Color is all around us. But what is color? "Color is light and energy." (...
If you've followed my blog, you know I write a lot about the art of mandalas. The Sanskrit word that means simply "circle." E...