I would introduce how creating mandalas, (Sacred Circle) can help promote calm during bouts of anxiety and worry. Drawing a circle can be done in almost any setting. I don't recommend it while you are driving. But, if you keep a pad with you, you can create a circle while waiting for a doctor's appointment, studying, before a test, waiting for a blind date to arrive or pretty much any situation that brings anxiety and/or worry on. I have made a few suggestions about approaching your circle below.
Promoting Calm Amidst Anxiety & Worry
- Keep a journal or pad with you at all times.
- Keep a few colored pencils, markers or regular pencils with you
- You might have the blank pages already traced with with a circle
- The circle can be any size you wish
- Begin in the center of the circle and draw outward
- Leave perfection and judgements outside
- Staying within the circle, allow your pencil to led the way
- It might be helpful to choose calming colors
- Focus on the circle
- Continue drawing until you feel you have reached a place of calm
- Finish when you feel your mandala is complete
- Bring this calm with you and return to the circle when you feel anxiety surfacing again
- Move on to what tasks need your attention